Client: Healey’s Cyder Farm,
Job: Installing A New Larger Steam Boiler Plant
Location: Penhallow in Cornwall
Healey’s Cyder Farm, located in Penhallow near Truro in Cornwall, has expanded their production facility and output over recent years, outgrowing the existing steam boiler plant. We were initially contacted about installing a new larger steam boiler plant within their current boiler house. Due to the limited space available for the new installation, it was proposed that the new boiler could be installed in a converted 20 ft container to be sited next to the production facility.
Scope of Work
Our turnkey solution comprised the following scope of works:
- Undertake initial design work. This involved 3-D modelling the internal layout of the container to optimise floor space and ease-of-access to the equipment.
- Specification and supply of a new 1360 kg/hr steam boiler and all necessary boiler plant equipment suitable for housing in a 20ft shipping container.
- Convert a standard 20ft high cube container into a fully functional industrial boiler plant room. This process involved the following:
- Installing a personnel door into the container for easy access.
- Install ventilation panels to provide adequate airflow for the Riello burner.
- Laying of a robust steel plate floor.
- Fit-out the container electrically with a mains distribution board, twin sockets and spurs and LED lighting.
Once these initial works were complete, we then began the installation of the ancillary boiler plant equipment. Pipework that could be installed was positioned prior to the hotwell and blowdown vessel being sited. We then began work installing the following:
- 1500-litre stainless hotwell tank - insulated and clad with internal condensate distribution sparge, steam injection set and digital level control system.
- Blowdown vessel with blowdown cooling system.
- Steam distribution header, giving low-level steam isolation points and double isolation for the plant downstream of the container.
Once these components were in place, the new Byworth MX1360 was positioned in the container before undertaking the necessary pipework connections.
The new boiler is fully compliant with the latest MCPD directive and supplied with fully self-monitoring level controls, Auto TDS and auto-blowdown systems.
Undertaking the boiler pipework installation at our works meant the boiler plant could be commissioned prior to shipment. This also enabled us to check the whole system for faults and iron out any potential issues prior to installation on-site.
The whole unit was then given a final coat of paint before being loaded onto a transport and sent to Cornwall for final siting and commissioning.
The majority of our works carried out prior to despatch allowed for a very streamlined operation on-site, keeping disruption to the factory at an absolute minimum.
Our in-house CAD design allowed for the on-site pipework connections to be modelled and manufactured remotely prior to installation. This further streamlined the working time on site.