Client: Mr Mark Hackney
Job: Complete Re-Build off 1904 American Built Frick Traction Engine Boiler
Scope of Work
On receiving an enquiry for the manufacture and fitting of a new inner firebox, we provided a detailed quotation that highlighted the exploratory work we would undertake on receipt of the boiler, as well as the fitting of the firebox. After receiving the order, the boiler arrived at our works and we sandblasted the whole boiler internally and externally. A third-party NDT specialist was brought in, who, on completion of his survey, discovered serious flaws in the boiler barrel. This led to a quotation for the rebuild work being generated. We received the order and commenced re-building the boiler, we carried out the following:
- Manufactured a new Flanged & Butt Welded Inner Firebox
- Manufactured a New Smokebox Tubeplate
- Manufactured A New Riveted Boiler Barrel With Butt-Strap
- Fitted All Of The Above
- Hot riveted all the components into position
- Caulked all rivets and lap seams
- Re-Tubed the Boiler
- Hydraulically Tested the boiler
- Steam Tested on completion.
The transformation from a mere skeleton of a boiler to a fully restored, fully certificated boiler was a joy to work on and see.